Monday, September 27, 2010

knock on wood

Ryan is a pretty accident-prone kid and constantly has a bump or bruise from walking into walls or tripping on concrete. It's always pretty minor though and just the other day I was thinking we're lucky that we've avoided any broken bones or stitches with that kid. Call it Murphy's Law or whatever you want, but I would come to eat those words one evening last week. Ryan was jumping on Jack's bed--something he knows not to do and Jack usually tattles before he can do it long, but this time he lost his footing (or who knows--maybe he jumped), but he ended up landing on the floor wrong and hurting his foot. He didn't seem too upset and there was no bruising or swelling, but I knew something was wrong the next morning when he refused to put any weight on it. I took him to the doctor hoping it would be nothing, but he thought we should x-ray the ankle and foot just to be sure since it was so tender and Ryan wouldn't walk. X-rays weren't fun, but we got through it and went home to await a call back. During this time I imagined what it would be like to lug Ryan around for weeks with a cast on his foot since after only one day my arm was sore and he was grumpy (even more than the usual amount) that he was immobile and couldn't do much.

Luckily, the call back was good news and nothing showed up on the x-rays so it appeared to be just a tissue injury. By the next day, Ryan started hobbling on his heel and even running with a limp and by now you hardly notice it. Thank heavens that was it and now Ryan isn't allowed in Jack's room alone! JP was ready to sell that bed since Jack's only "major" injury was staples in his head from jumping on that same bed, but I told him if we get rid of it we should get bunkbeds so the boys can share a room and then we're really asking for potential injuries! After I left the doctor last week he said something about having two boys and to get used to this--he's sure I'll be back again for more than just routine stuff. I really hope not.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Poor little guy. He is so cute. And yes your doctor is right. Parker is our dude that always ends up at the doctors. Have you ever noticed his brown tooth? It's from an accident and it totally fits him. I'm glad that it wasn't anything serious! Good luck.

Christel Stearman said...

Well, I can totally feel your pain Ryan is pretty close to the age Caleb was when he broke his leg, do you guys remember that?? It was not fun lugging him around! Luckily you didn't have to do that, don't worry we haven't made any trips to the ER (KNOCK ON WOOD) and we have 4 boys!!

Mary said...

I'm so glad that Ryan is OK. Those boys of yours couldn't be cuter!

Betsy said...

I love that picture! I want bunk beds for Eddy's room, but Brandt of course thinks I'm crazy. I kind of agree when it comes to Eddy.

Unknown said...

it's true...little boys are very accident prone. Scott had a lot of accidents when he was little and Jonah has had his fair share and he is only two!

Love the photo :)

Erin said...

Poor Ryan. But it is so true about boys. It's crazy how accident prone/adventurous they are. Ethan and Evan have both already chipped their front teeth and have had stitches. I feel your pain and worry.