Sunday, May 22, 2011

A day to remember...

On Wednesday last week we attended Jack's preschool graduation where they had a little singing program and were presented with a book of some of their work from the year. Despite the cold, rainy weather--it was cute and I was happy to see Jack singing even though he didn't have the best morning up to that point.


Here he is with his teacher Ms. Kami. He attended this preschool for two years and we'll miss both teachers he had.


So I mentioned Jack's rough morning and I'll try to explain how we went from the pictures above in the morning to this in the afternoon...

When I woke Jack up to get ready for preschool, he was kind of grouchy and still tired from being up too late the night before. He wouldn't come out for breakfast and I kept getting after him to hurry up even though he told me his leg hurt and he couldn't walk. We had been to a ward dinner in our neighborhood park the night before and he was fine when he went to bed and seemed fine the two times he got up to use the bathroom in the night, so I didn't think too much of his leg. We somehow made it to the graduation on time between me lugging Jack around and him limping. We met JP there who immediately thought it was more serious than I first thought and tried to figure out what he could have done in the night. Jack said the pain was in his knee and it looked a little swollen. The only thing we could come up with is maybe he got hurt when he jumped from the tailgate of JP's truck when we were unloading tables from the dinner the night before. It's not that high of a jump and he continued to play and run around afterward, but maybe it took a while for this injury to manifest itself?!

We went to our pediatrician's office in the afternoon and had some x-rays done. Nothing obvious showed up, but like with Ryan's injury from a few months prior, they said a hairline fracture might not appear at first and could take a few days to show up on the x-ray. There was concern over a lump behind his knee that felt like fluid, but the doctor wasn't sure if it was blood or maybe some kind of infection so we were just instructed to keep an eye on it. They made Jack a splint to help immobilize his knee, but still allow us to unwrap it and ice the knee to reduce the swelling.

By the next morning there was already a huge improvement and we concluded pretty quick there was no fracture since he was moving around so much better. In fact I had to keep getting after him for not taking it easy enough and putting too much weight on his leg. On the third day, the lump was gone and by today, Jack's not even wearing the brace anymore. I still don't fully know what caused his mystery injury and why he went from harldy walking one day to wanting to run the next. All I know is while I will love this baby in my belly no matter what the gender, I'm really hoping for a sweet girl! Raising boys is proving to be stressful work. They're not even that adventurous, but manage to find danger and make me feel like we spend a little too much time at the doctor's office. At our appointment last week, the lady we saw wasn't our regular doctor, but when she walked in she commented that she remembered stapling Jack's head a couple years ago!

Luckily all was well in time for our weekend of visitors. The boys were in heaven playing with Brody and meeting their newest cousin Owen. There was plenty of video gaming and Lego buiding and it was fun for me too visiting with my sisters and parents.


Now that we've kicked off summer break with a bang, here's to hoping we have more fun and less drama these next few months. Oh, and my big ultrasound appointment is in less than two weeks!!!!

1 comment:

Heather said...

Oh man!! That's crazy! Poor guy. I'm glad that it was nothing serious and that he is doing so much better. He looks so stinkin' cute with his bandaged leg. I'm hoping for a girl for you, I can't wait for you to find out. Although with a girl there is a lot more screaming and drama:)